Holmdel Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents cause the majority of personal injury claims in the United States. They are traumatic experiences that can result in injury or death, depending on the seriousness of the crash. The Holmdel car accident lawyers at Mikita & Roccanova can help guide clients through the compensation process and ensure that their rights are protected.
What are Common Causes of Car Accidents?
There are many different causes of car accidents. Some may result in minor injuries, while others may require long-term hospital care or prolonged medical issues. All car accidents should be taken seriously, no matter the cause. The following are common causes of car accidents:
Negligent drivers: There are many ways to decide if a driver was negligent in a car accident. Some factors of negligent driving include disobeying traffic signs, failing to signal, driving above the speed limit, and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Negligent drivers put themselves and others at risk and are one of the leading causes of car accidents.
Distracted driving: Despite how useful phones are, they are extremely dangerous to use on the road. Cell phones create a distraction for drivers and cause them to take their eyes away from the road. In addition to cell phones, eating, grooming, talking, and handling GPS equipment are also common driver distractions. Any one of these actions can increase the chance of injury or death if involved in an accident.
Reckless driving: This is extremely unsafe as it puts everyone in danger on the road. Speeding is a major form of reckless driving, as well as improper lane changing. Failing to signal or to look for cars while changing lanes can cause a major accident. Drivers need to be responsible while on the road as reckless driving completely disregards the well-being of others.
Drunk driving: This is another major cause of car accidents and is a contributor to driver and passenger deaths. Drivers who are under the influence of alcohol or drugs are impaired in their ability to make proper driving decisions. This puts other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists at risk for injury and death. If drinking is involved, use a ridesharing service to refrain from putting others in danger.
Poor weather conditions: Rain is a major contribution to the number of accidents in the United States because of the slippery surfaces it creates. Snow and ice also prove dangerous for drivers and can cause serious accidents to occur. Avoid driving in severe weather conditions as much as possible.
Running red lights: Red always means stop. It is illegal to run a red light and is extremely dangerous.
What are Common Car Accident Injuries?
No matter the accident, injuries may occur and can affect a victim for the rest of their life. The following are common types of injuries that may occur from a car accident:
- Traumatic brain injuries: These are caused by a major blow to the head and can lead to long-term disabilities or death.
- Spinal cord injuries: Damage to the spinal cord can lead to partial or total paralysis.
- Back injuries: These types of injuries may be delayed after an accident and serious injuries can be life-altering.
- Internal injuries: After a car accident, it is important to get checked out by a medical professional in case of internal injuries. Internal bleeding needs to be treated immediately.
- Broken or fractured bones: This is a common injury from the impact of an accident. Arms, legs, ribs, ankles, and wrists are the most susceptible to being broken or fractured during a crash.
- Whiplash: This refers to muscle, ligament, and tendon injuries that occur to the neck and head during a car accident.
- Lacerations: Any accident, large or small, can cause cuts and lacerations to the body.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If involved in a car accident, there are a few steps to take after the incident:
- Do not leave the accident scene
- Call the police
- Check for injuries
- Exchange information with other drivers and passengers, including personal and insurance information
- Move vehicles to the shoulder if they are in the middle of the road
- Gather evidence, such as a general description of the scene, make and model of all vehicles involved, pictures of damage, and take note of any cameras nearby
- Do not admit fault to the opposing driver
- Notify the car insurance company
- Hire a car accident lawyer
After an accident, it is very important to seek medical attention for any injuries sustained. If there was impact from the crash, there may be internal injuries that need to be addressed immediately. Be sure to keep all bills and paperwork for evidence in a case.
New Jersey Car Accident Laws
New Jersey is a no-fault car insurance state, meaning that after a car accident, a victim will need to file a claim under their own personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. This will allow the victim to be compensated for medical bills and other financial losses due to the car accident. If an injury claim meets a certain pre-requisite, the victim can present a claim against the at-fault driver. New Jersey follows a statute of limitations of two years from the date of the car accident to present a lawsuit. If the other driver is at-fault for the accident, they will be responsible for compensation. If both parties are at-fault, New Jersey follows a modified comparative fault rule, which means that the plaintiffs damages are reduced by a percentage equal to their share of fault. A plaintiff will receive nothing if they are found to be over 50 percent at-fault.
Why Hire a Lawyer?
Car accidents are serious life events and should be handled by a qualified car accident lawyer for the best possible chance at maximum compensation. A lawyer will gather all of the evidence and prepare to handle each case in court. A car accident lawyer will treat each case with the utmost respect and ensure that their clients rights are protected.
Holmdel Car Accident Lawyers at Mikita & Roccanova Protect the Rights of Car Accident Victims
If you or someone you know was injured in a car accident, contact the Holmdel car accident lawyers at Mikita & Roccanova for more information. We will fight to obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries. Call us today at 732-705-3363 or contact us online for a free consultation. Located in Hazlet and Highland Park, New Jersey, we serve clients throughout Ocean County, Sussex County, and Pennsylvania.